Magnitude of the Problem
According to a study released this year by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), “Imports of counterfeit and pirated goods are worth nearly half a trillion dollars a year, or around 2.5% of global imports…” And the Commander of the United States Cyber Command and Director of the National Security Agency, General Keith Alexander, stated that the ongoing theft of IP is, “the greatest transfer of wealth in history.”
The theft of intellectual property (IP) is about much more than the aggregation of big numbers. It is also the collection of individual, sometimes devastating, stories of loss. For instance, when the American Superconductor Corporation had its wind-energy software code stolen by a major customer in China, it lost not only that customer, but also 90% of its stock value. (Michael A. Riley and Ashlee Vance, “China Corporate Espionage Boom Knocks Wind Out of U.S. Companies,” Bloomberg Business Week.)
In today’s global marketplace—in which goods and information can be so easily stolen and sold—it is a misapprehension to think that efforts to steal any entity’s IP will not be explored, and, at times, achieved, with sometimes severe financial, and reputational consequences. As well as severe health and safety consequences for consumers who stumble into buying counterfeit goods.
The forward thinking business leaders of today recognize this inevitable reality, and adopt strategies to confront it. As Sharon Kreps, Epson’s channel marketing manager put it, “Manufacturers who think their products are free and clear of this problem are living in a dream world.”
XG-IP Protection Team
That is why we at XG Consultants Group are passionate about protecting your IP. Whether it’s fashion and apparel, auto parts and medicines, or music and films—if it’s being counterfeited or pirated, XG can help.
We have extensive working knowledge of the IP protection—legal and regulatory landscape—and exercise “critical thinking” in order to:
- Develop policies, processes and tools to address product integrity challenges
- Develop and implement brand protection strategies
- Develop strategies for tackling unique problems
- Develop international and region-specific policies and policy recommendations to improve reactive and proactive enforcement
- Partner with your legal counsel to quickly handle and resolve critical and time-sensitive escalations
- Liaise with internal business teams to address vendor concerns
We also specialize in exhaustive case-by-case assessments/investigations, and, the execution of tactics that includes the multilayered use of:
- International Background Screening
- Comprehensive Research
- Field Investigations
- Exhaustive/Discerning Interviews
- Supply-Chain Surveillance
- Undercover Purchase Operations
- Confidential Informant Development
- Coordination with Law-Enforcement
We are equipped to coordinate with your brand/content protection management team, legal counsel, or IP technology specialists to fortify your IP protection shield.
XG-IP investigators, analysts, and researchers have the expertise and capacity to pursue transnational IP infringement violators of your trade secrets; trademarks; designs; copyright; and patents, worldwide.
We are your eyes and ears.
Let the XG-IP Protection Team help you protect your IP.